Ceramic Dental Implants for Natural-looking Smiles in Houston, TX
Since their introduction in the early 1980s, dental implants have become the preferred tooth-replacement method for long-term results and health advantages. Today, Dr. Marilyn Jones offers a metal-free ceramic option for Houston, TX, patients who want a body-friendly implant that blends beautifully into their smile. These implants are called SDS Zirconia implants and are in line with the principles of biological dentistry.
Each of your natural teeth has roots that extend into the jawbone with a symbiotic purpose. Roots stabilize teeth so that you can chew. Tooth roots also provide stimulation that keeps bone dense and strong. When a tooth root is missing, bone diminishes through a natural process of resorption.
A dental implant replaces the root of a missing tooth. This small shaft is placed into the jawbone in a precisely-planned oral surgery. Over time, osseointegration occurs—bone fuses with the implant. The implant is topped with a dental crown for a tooth that looks, feels, and functions like a natural one while preserving bone.
Ceramic dental implants benefit Houston, TX, patients
In the past, dental implants were made of titanium. Titanium metal can be neuroactive and therefore not bio-compatible. A percentage of the population has allergic reactions to titanium or other metals in implants like nickel. Pieces of titanium oxide are said to have been found in the bodies of patients with titanium implants. In other words, they enter into the bloodstream. Gum recession can occur if the tissue does not hold onto the titanium, and the gray cast under the tissue is the titanium implant showing through. Corrosion and electrical conduction can occur also occur.
At Houston Biological Dentist we use SDS Biological Dentistry and SDS Zirconia dental implants resolve these issues, with additional advantages
- Superior biocompatibility – reaction to this material is extremely rare.
- Strength is stronger than titanium – ceramic implants are suitable for any area of the mouth.
- Tissue integration – bone forms a solid connection with the implant.
- Reduced risk of complications – the design of SDS Zirconia implants does not encourage oral bacteria. This reduces the chance of developing gum disease at the site and peri-implantitis (a deeper bacterial invasion that can cause the implant to fail).
- Easy crown replacement – should the restoration wear or become damaged, it can be replaced without impact to the implant.
Don’t let a missing tooth spoil your smile.
Schedule an appointment at Houston Biological Dentist to learn more about healthy tooth replacement options that looks terrific. Call us at (713) 497-1355.