Houston, TX patients love CEREC® same day dental restorations
With demanding careers, blended and extended families, community and social obligations, most people have packed calendars. Plus, there are probably places you would rather spend time than in the dentist’s chair. One of the ways Dr. Marilyn Jones in Houston, TX respects her patients’ time is with CEREC® technology.
What is CEREC?
The acronym is short for Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics, or more simply CEramic REConstruction. This system employs computer-aided design and manufacturing (CAD/CAM) to fabricate dental restorations.
First, a tooth with decay or damage is shaped and prepared with conventional drilling or gentle air abrasion. Then, digital impressions are created from panoramic, three-dimensional images of your mouth. Aided by complex computer software, Dr. Jones turns this information into a virtual restoration – inlay, onlay, crown, bridge, or veneer. An on-site milling machine transforms the digital design into an actual restoration made of strong, lustrous ceramic material, while you wait. It is custom-stained for shading variations that match your natural dentition, and the restoration is cemented in place.
Be on your way same day with CEREC technology in Houston, TX
From the patient’s perspective, efficiency is the primary benefit of a CEREC restoration. It is completed in one appointment, minimizing travel, and missed time from work or school. However, there are additional advantages of this technique:
- Taking impressions is quick and comfortable, requiring only a small sensor placed into the mouth – no need to bite on trays holding gooey material.
- You only need to be numbed one time.
- The bonded restoration is conservative, preserving as much natural tooth enamel as possible.
- There is no temporary restoration to baby while waiting for your final piece to come back from an off-site dental lab.
- Computerized design results in an extremely precise fit. There is minimal need for adjustments, and a “redo” is rare.